We are seeking a Senior/Principal Ecologist
This is an excellent opportunity to join a leading multidisciplinary consultancy, who provide a comprehensive and diverse set of professional services to a broad client base.
This is a new position within a small office in Glasgow that the company plans to invest further in and develop. As a result the successful candidate will play a significant role in developing a Glasgow based Ecology team with the support of the wider business.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading and ecological field surveys and the analysis and interpretation of survey results.
- Assist in the development of new business, by attending networking functions, meeting prospective clients and attending workshops/seminars.
- Preparing detailed fee quotations and tenders for ecology projects.
- Preparing risk assessments and method statements as required.
- Producing Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Protected Species Survey Reports, EPS licence applications, Ecological Impact Assessments and other similar documents.
- Designing and Implementing mitigation strategies.
- Provide technical input and support to other internal offices and clients as required.
- Mentoring and management of junior team members.
- Taking responsibility for managing small – to medium-sized ecological projects including resource allocation, managing subcontractors, managing risk, quality assurance, client feedback and ensuring effective communication of any changes/modifications
- Working closely with other members of the team including northern office ecology staff and aligned disciplines especially Planning, EIA and Landscape Design.
- Be qualified to degree level or equivalent in ecology or a related discipline
- Hold SNH or Natural England bat survey licence and have experience of bat European Protected Species (development) licence applications in Scotland.
- Hold (or be working towards) a second SNH or Natural England survey licence.
- Have a specialism in birds, terrestrial mammals, bats or herptiles.
- Full membership of CIEEM.
- Current CSCS and PTS accreditation is desirable.
- Demonstrate relevant experience within ecological consultancy
- Have sound financial awareness and budget control.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for Business Development.
- Have an understanding of ecological field surveys and a broad knowledge of protected species issues
- Experience of Ecological Impact Assessment and completing Environmental Statement chapters.
- Have experience of managing ecology led projects to completion.
- Have a proven track record of mentoring and managing junior staff.
- Have knowledge of habitat management requirements for key species.
- Be familiar with ECoW roles and CEMP requirements.
- Be self-motivated with strong communication skills.
- Have excellent report writing skills.